Good Denver Resaurant: Linger
People visiting Denver or reading this from afar might be surprised to hear that one of the hottest restaurants in the city, if not the hottest restaurant in the city–Linger–is in the former home of Olinger Mortuaries. The sign remains, but it has been modified a bit–leaving the word Linger and the word Eaturaries…oh yeah, and an incredibly Good restaurant.
Chef/owner Justin Cucci has kept some elements of the restaurant similar to a mortuary (metal clipboards for menus and dark brown medicine-style glass jars for drinking water), but for the most part, when you’re inside you aren’t thinking about dead people–you’re enjoying a lively atmosphere and fantastic food and drinks.
As you sit down at your table you’re treated to a bowl of popcorn, which is typically spiced in an unexpected way. Then you pick from one of many delicious cocktails, and linger on to enjoy excellent small plates inspired by dishes from regions all over the world. All of the menu items I’ve had at Linger have been Good, but some of my favorites are the “Devils on Horseback” (Applewood Smoked Bacon Wrapped Medjool Dates, Herbed Goat Cheese & Sambal Gastrique), the Pho-Real Spring Roll (36-Hour Short Rib, Rice Noodles, Herbs, Pickled Veg & Pho Steak Sauce), and the Popper “ Breakdown” (Shishito Peppers, Cheddar Curds & Orange-Habanero Jam). You can’t go wrong with any of the menu items, and I’m sure the same applies to the dessert–but with Little Man Ice Cream next door, I must admit I’ve never tried it…
If you haven’t been to Linger before, here are a few insider tips:
- It can be very tough to get a table in the main seating area of Linger without a reservation. Make one through Open Table and try to schedule it far in advance!
- Linger has an awesome rooftop deck–it is one of the best places in Denver to grab a drink. For this part of the restaurant, though, seating is first come, first served–so get there early if you want a shot at a rooftop seat.
- Share the small plates and order lots of them, so you can try many different menu items.
- Parking can be a pain in the Lower Highlands, but Linger’s valet parking is free.
- Don’t show up to locked doors! Linger isn’t open Sundays and Mondays.
Linger is located in the Lower Highlands (LoHi) neighborhood. Interested in living near LoHi? Click here to search nearby homes for sale.
In addition to writing for The Good Life Denver, David works full-time as a Denver real estate agent. David helps his clients (ranging from first-time home buyers, to sellers, to seasoned investors) to achieve their real estate goals. Contact him today for all of your Denver real estate needs.